We encourage AIA Canada members to volunteer and become Foundation Champions by sharing the work of the Foundation in their local communities and raising awareness about the grants and scholarships available. Help us help children and young people in fulfilling their dreams!
Every day volunteers for AIA High Fives for Kids Foundation are making a profound difference in the lives of children and youth in their local communities. Volunteers play a vital role in fulfilling our mission by assisting with fundraising events, becoming Foundation Ambassadors, or even becoming members of the board.
Without the help of our many passionate volunteers, our Foundation couldn’t accomplish all the amazing things we do.
Are you ready to get involved?
The AIA High Fives for Kids Foundation (H5s4Ks) is recruiting volunteers to serve on the Board of Directors. The initial commitment is two years beginning upon election with a maximum of four terms. Click here to read more.
Overall Policy on Utilization of Volunteers:
AIA High Fives for Kids Foundation accepts and encourages volunteer involvement at all levels of the organization.
Definition of a Volunteer:
The Foundation will always create specific volunteer position descriptions prior to screening volunteers. Unless specifically stated, a “volunteer” is an individual who performs their specified job description willingly without expecting compensation. Although the Foundation does not recognize volunteers as employees, we understand and enforce the need to respect them as such. As a direct result of this, organizational rules and expectations apply to volunteers while volunteering with the Foundation.
Rights of Volunteers:
- To be valued and respected as part of the organization;
- To receive a volunteer assignment that engages your skills, interests and experience;
- To receive a role description and agreed hours of contribution;
- To receive guidance and training for your specific role;
- To receive ongoing guidance, feedback, encouragement and recognition from the Foundation.
Responsibilities of Volunteers:
- Approach your volunteer role with enthusiasm, honesty and an open mind;
- Ask questions to ensure that you understand a role/task before accepting it;
- Carry out your tasks efficiently and effectively and ask for help when you need it;
- Respect privacy and confidentiality;
- Provide positive or constructive feedback to staff and suggest improvements or changes for your role;
- Notify Foundation staff as soon as possible if you are unable to fulfill a volunteer commitment.
Volunteer Opportunities at the Foundation:
There are many possibilities! With opportunities to suit everyone, here are the ways you can be involved:
- Events: as an event (golf tournaments, fundraising dinners, etc.) volunteer, you will provide assistance in the areas of event preparation and execution. Support us to raise awareness, dollars and much needed support for the children and youth of Canada, while having fun!
- Office/Administration: as an office volunteer, you will provide virtual or on site administrative support at our head office in Ottawa office during our regular office hours (Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm). Volunteers may assist in general clerical support such as data entry and researching or more specific tasks like content development, social media sharing etc., depending on the time of year or the needs of the Foundation.
- Board and committees: as a board member or member of a committee you will work closely with the industry, divisions, committees and various community groups and individuals to support the Foundation’s continuous growth.
Thank You to Our Volunteers!
We believe our volunteers have the biggest hearts. Year after year at our events, in the office, and anywhere in between, our incredible volunteers are by our side working tirelessly to help raise critical dollars or execute impactful programs for children and youth in need. Some have been with us for many years, and others have just come on board as enthusiastic new members. All are an inspiration.