Thanks to our local divisions, we reach communities directly and offer help where it is needed. Under the championship of AIA Canada members, the Foundation runs a number of campaigns that provide funding to smaller charities that may otherwise be overlooked.
We strive to make our grant making process systematic, rigorous, and as streamlined as possible. Here are the four most important things you need to know and links to relevant details.
- Funding requests must be spearheaded by members of AIA Canada;
- We only fund projects carried out by registered Canadian charities;
- We review funding requests at specific times of the year (Check the Funding Cycle);
- All application materials are completed online.
The Foundation invites you to submit your request through an online submission form*. H5s4Ks completes two grant cycles per year. Inquiries are due by February 15 to be considered for the Spring cycle, and September 15 for the Fall cycle. If the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or a Canadian civic holiday, the submission deadline is extended to the next business day.
Grant Program Criteria**
The AIA High Fives for Kids Foundation (H5s4Ks) is a Canadian not-for-profit charitable organization recognized by the Canada Revenue Agency. The Foundation raises funds for its activities through appeals to appropriate institutions, foundations, and individuals in the private sector – including members of the Automotive Industries Association (AIA) of Canada.
As a Foundation for children and youth, H5s4ks is committed to creating brighter futures by giving them the tools, opportunities, and support they need.
H5s4ks is accepting requests for funding from registered charities in Canada. We know that a greater impact can be made by partnering with AIA members and we encourage eligible donees to connect with a member of the automotive aftermarket to champion their cause.
Please review the following criteria prior to submitting your proposal.
The H5s4Ks considers the social and economic barriers facing the individuals served by the organization when determining the funding request. To help manage the increased demand and to ensure fair distribution of funding, the following screening criteria will be applied:
- Grant requests are accepted from Canadian charities whose work benefits children and youth in Canada.
- Depending on availability of resources, first time applicants will receive priority for grant funding.
- Returning applicants will be considered on an individual basis, as funding permits. No guarantee of funding on a yearly basis.
- The Board looks favourably on organizations that are proactive and can supply us with information on other fundraising efforts, monies raised thus far, applications to other organizations, and past successes. Try and be as specific as possible as to how the money helps the children and youth in your area.
We fund eligible organizations that:
- Have registered charitable status with the Canada Revenue Agency. Your charitable registration must be provided.
- Work with children and youth in Canada.
- Make services available without discrimination.
- Demonstrate fiscal and management responsibility, capacity for accountability, and financial need.
We do not fund:
- Sabbatical leaves or student exchanges;
- Operating or capital deficits;
- Ongoing operational costs;
- Retroactive expenses;
- Endowment campaigns;
- Multi-year commitments;
- Activities that serve primarily the membership or purposes of religious organizations;
- Political organizations or advocacy initiatives.
- Grants are awarded for specific purposes and for projects over a definite time period.
- All qualified applications are considered according to their merit and in light of the funds available for distribution.
- The history of the applicant will be reviewed.
- Multiple applications from an organization will not be considered within the same granting stream.
- Grant applications are assessed without discrimination regarding gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, creed or disability. By the same token, the Board will accept applications only from organizations and for projects, which are free from detrimental discrimination based on gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, creed or disability.
As a matter of accountability, the Board will undertake an appropriate review with all receiving organizations to ensure compliance with the terms under which grants were allocated and to evaluate the impact of the grant on the realization of the project objectives.
In addition, to help us evaluate our own success in achieving the mission of H5s4Ks, we are interested to know how the Foundation’s support has assisted you in the pursuit of your objectives. To that end, we ask recipients of an H5s4ks grant to provide a brief at the completion of their project.
We are particularly interested in knowing:
- Whether you achieved the goals for your project as you envisioned them in your original application and the means by which you have assessed the success of your project.
- Specific examples of the results of your project.
- The impact of your project on the life of children and youth in your area.
- Once the completed application is received and if approved by the H5s4Ks board, a cheque will be sent to the organization.
- The H5s4Ks will only issue funds to a charitable organization’s account that has been set up at a recognized banking facility. This may need verification.
- Please keep a photocopy of the application for your records.
- Please allow a minimum of 15 business days for review of application; processing time will vary depending on the availability of funds.
Expectations of grant recipients:
Organizations receiving a grant from H5s4Ks will be requested to provide the following:
- Where possible, photographs of participants taking part in the program that we may share with our stakeholders – website, social media, and print material related to our grant program.
- Where possible, testimonials from participants/teachers/leaders/parents that we may share with our stakeholders – website, social media, and print materials related to our grant program.
- A list or samples showing how H5s4Ks has been recognized with the program.
Application Submission / Approval:
- Your completed online application is the only way we will have a full understanding of your needs. Please ensure all sections are completed to maximize the impact of your submission. Your application will be electronically submitted once you complete the online application form.
- Notification of the status of the application will be sent to the applicant as soon as a decision is made.
- The grant must be used for the purpose the grant was approved; no portion of the grant may be transferred to another party.
- The H5s4Ks reserves the right to request a proof of performance to ensure funds have been used as approved.
Please note: Grant proposals are accepted only during scheduled application periods; we do not accept unsolicited proposals outside of this time.
Privacy / Confidentiality:
The H5s4Ks respects your privacy. We never sell, trade or loan your information to any other organization. Information provided in your application will be collected for the purpose of administering the H5s4Ks grant program.
Questions concerning application preparation may be directed to:
Didina Kyenge – Grants and Scholarships
613-728-5821 ext 231
Note: An e-mail acknowledging receipt of your application will be sent to the contact provided.
**H5s4Ks reserves the right to change or modify these criteria on a case-by-case basis.